Sunday, March 23, 2014

Hollywood Underdog turns 3!

Today is the third birthday (anniversary) of my blog! I started Hollywood Underdog on March 23, 2011.

The catch is that I wrote several blog articles before I actually published or told anyone about it. Although excited about the idea of it I just wasn't sure if I wanted to be a "blogger." Was it a commitment I could keep? Or would I start it and then not be able to keep it up and forget about it? After several months I felt I had the hang of it and published them all at once in 2012.

It took some time to get used to writing a blog or article every few days. This can be hard sometimes and always will, and is the number one reason of bloggers who quit.

Bingimages.com....Illustrator unknown

During those first few months I trademarked the name and secured the domain. That first year I also spent weeks learning Google's Blogger application.  This included creating my blog layout and various settings, my Adsense account and application, selection then placement of advertising, listing the blog with the various search engines for optimization, and much more. Thanks Google for making this process as understandable as possible! What a great mental exercise! My husband would come home and find me hunched over my laptop, eyes glazed, neck stiff but excited about grasping something that would get me closer to launching my blog.

I learned what I needed to and got to the point where anything more technical will require more time or a real expert and so "it is as it is" until it is time to change it.

If you read my beginning blogs from 2011 and 2012 you would notice they are more personal and "journal" like,  and that was fine. However I realized I wanted to write more complete pieces, so I do that mostly now. Although more challenging, I find it to be more satisfying as a writer.

This opportunity to branch out has been so good for me. I have always enjoyed a dual career in entertainment and marketing. However, sometimes because the money is better in corporate America than the entertainment biz, (at least for me),  I had tended to ignore my creative side for long periods of time. What I've learned is that I really need to do both to be content, balanced and to grow as a person and a professional.

The last thing I need to express is how much the people who supported me with my blog in the beginning helped me, especially my husband, two sisters and my mother in law. It's not easy to put yourself out there and I was unsure and a little nervous as to how it would be received. Their encouragement has meant a lot, and so has anyone else who read, commented, or passed it along to others.  Also, for those I have interviewed, gone to their shows to blog about them, or been involved in a story in any way thanks for your positive contribution to my passion project!

Here are some of my blog articles that have meant the most to me to write in the past 3 years either because I really enjoyed writing them or they had significance in another way....

Hollywoodunderdog.blogspot.com....Why you should call your Mother

Hollywoodunderdog.blogspot.com...Bringing Change to Mind

Hollywoodunderdog.blogspot.com...My Day Without Mirrors

Hollywoodunderdog.blogspot.com....Ivan's Rules

Hollywoodunderdog.blogspot.com....Rediscover a Downtown

Hollywoodunderdog.blogspot.com....Ten Tips to look good in every Photo

Hollywoodunderdog.blogspot.com....Broadway Cares in Las Vegas

Hollywoodunderdog.blogspot.com....Ode to the Marys

Hollywoodunderdog.blogspot.com...A Taste of Shakespeare, my first "Vlog"

Hollywoodunderdog.blogspot.com...The Blonde in the Convertible

Hollywoodunderdog.blogspot.com....Sometimes I Miss Vinyl




Anna Wendt...Copyright 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment