Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Seven Habits of Highly Effective People...and criers!


This is a REPOST from June 6, 2012
Rest in peace Stephen R Covey


I remember reading this great book by Stephen R Covey back in the 90's. It was a good one. Made me think of all the time I spent chasing my tail when I thought I was being productive. Being busy does not necessarily mean one is "productive", or making any progress whatsoever. This stuck with me.

In fact I may have to go back and read that book again. I think I have gone back to some of my old ways due to the constant use and sometimes major distraction of my 3 monkeys; laptop, ipad and Android. How did we all end up with several computers each when one used to be enough? It is what it is.

The next few days is a little home time to focus on getting some things done because things get busy again next week.  My bedroom and bathroom looked like a beauty supply store threw up in it after the pageant so, back to real life as opposed to "reel" life!......

Oh, that reminds me of my friend Beverly's book.

She was a child actress known for being able to "cry" on cue. She replaced the late Margaret O'Brien as the "queen of the screen criers". When they needed a child to shed crocodile tears they'd say, "get me the crier", and there'd she'd be, on set with some of the biggest stars of that time. Her book is an honest depiction of her journey from child star to adult actress, in many ways two different lives. Back then child actors were not protected in the way they are now. So as she became an adult, there were many ups and downs but through it all she managed to not become jaded.

About Beverly, I just want to say that I have worked with her many times. No matter what she is working on whether it be as a guest star on "Las Vegas" or as just a stand in at an awards show, she is always an elegant professional. She is not negative or judgemental towards others on set even though she has been in the business for over 60 years and worked with the most of the "legends". In fact, in a way she is one. Stella Adler would have loved her!



If you want a trip down memory lane, go to www.beverlywashburn.com, there are
some fun clips from the 50's and 60's. Such a different time back then, seems sometimes
like another planet compared to now!


"Reel Tears", by Beverly Washburn













No comments:

Post a Comment