Friday, June 8, 2012

"Behind the Candelabra"...in the Mojave


"Behind the Candelabra" is a film about the final ten years in the life of Liberace starring Michael Douglas as Liberace and Matt Damon as Scott Thorson. Based on the book of the same title, the film is set in the time period of 1977-1987.

I am expecting to work on this film when it shoots in Las Vegas late summer. 

I realize many have never heard Liberace play. Here is a link. Of course I picked two of my favorite songs...:)


 http://youtu.be/ElOJeZpCbtc


There was another movie, back in 1988. "Liberace: Behind the Music", with Victor Garber, (Titanic), in the role of Liberace. He did a beautiful job portraying Liberace's amazing talent and personal pain. To grow up gay in the 1940-1950's had to have been quite a burden. This film sheds light on that. I also like the focus on the relationship with his mother and how important she was to his well being. The way that this is emphasized in the film as having a lot to do with his ability to accept himself with the perceived "flaw" of homosexuality, is especially timely these days, twenty five years later.





The Liberace museum permanently closed in 2010. My sister and I paid one last visit and it was a sweet day. There was a talented pianist playing one of Liberace's pianos and one last chance to view the amazing collection of Liberace's instruments, cars, jewelry, costumes and other items that were pretty, eccentric, some a little cheesy but for me, a joy to see......I confess I bought a "candelabra" ring!


Below is a link for photos from my last visit to the Liberace Museum before it closed.... forever........to be made into a traveling exhibition.


https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1651203684676.2089625.1374521324&type=3&l=f4840e6c3e









No comments:

Post a Comment