Sunday, April 3, 2011

This is Country Music...

For some reason I love simple this song by Brad Paisley. Reminds me of growing up listening to George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Charlie Pride and Loretta Lynn on my parents console stereo, which was preceded by John Denver on the 8 track. Remember some people had 8 track players in their car? That was really cool back in 74'!...along with the "keep on truckin'" bumper sticker.

While watching Brad rehearse with Alabama yesterday I was reminded of the first time I ever saw him live which was with my sister at Fan Fair in Nashville in 98'. He was so skinny with this huge guitar and a giant cowboy hat, he looked like a 12 yr old boy who snuck out of the house and on stage. He was just releasing "He Didn't Have to Be", the song about a step father, which was his first big hit I think. Anyway, my sister and I are always like those two old men puppets in the balcony from The Muppet Show, critiquing everything and our take on Brad was he'll probably have to beef up, put on some weight, change to an electric guitar and he'll have a shot! And that's what he did. If you keep doing what you're doing you'll get better and better at it and now he's amazing with that guitar and of course one of the biggest stars in music.

What a treat to see Alabama harmonizing again. Wonder why they retired? I think it was from 20 yrs of touring constantly, living on buses, hit after hit, winning every award time and again. they were just "done". 
"There's an old flame burning in your mind...that tears can't drown and make up can't disguise. That old flame might not be stronger, but it's been burning longer... than any torch I might have started in your eyes"
I always liked that song about someone carrying a torch for an ex. Who can't relate?

No comments:

Post a Comment