Friday, May 4, 2018

Getting Back on the Horse


When I was very young we moved into a new house in rural Minnesota that my father and grandfather helped build. Even though it was out in the boondocks it was a step up for us. Our family of six had been squeezed into a small place in a neighborhood outside of Minneapolis that was not the best place to raise children. My mother had another baby on the way and my parents did well by getting us out of there. 

Our new house in the country was on a spacious two acres, and although it had no farm we were surrounded by them. For me, the best part of all this were the horses! As a child, seeing horses every day became something I was used to.  Whether on the school bus or walking down our dirt roads our neighborhood was like my own personal zoo with horses behind every neighbor’s fence. Sometimes out of nowhere a horse would wander into our front yard or behind our garage to nibble on the grass. We’d tell mom and she’d start calling around to find out who was missing one of their herd. Awhile later someone would show up with reins and a bit and off they'd go. Local motorists had to be careful for horseback riders who shared our roads. These weren’t cowboys, just people exercising their animals.

One of my chores was to hang the wet laundry on the line in the backyard. The neighbor’s horses would walk up to the edge of their fence and stick their noses over the wooden rail, just watching.  I’d talk to them to help pass the time. They were good listeners. Sometimes I’d put some sugar on my hand and they’d lick it off.  We weren’t supposed to do that but I couldn’t resist as I was confident the horses wouldn’t bite me.

I was a happy kid when on a horse
People often wonder why girls like horses so much. I think it's because they're so strong but also very gentle. There's no such thing as a mean horse, a wild one maybe, but not mean.  

Occasionally my sisters and I would get a chance to ride one of our neighbor’s horses. Jennifer, who had a few somewhat wild steeds provided us access anytime we wanted as long as she was with us. We’d take them on long rides into the woods. It was fun but the hairs on the back of my neck would be standing up the whole  time because we rode bareback a lot. I couldn't show my fear though as Jennifer warned me the horse gets nervous and can sense when the rider is afraid. 

My other friend Sherry had well trained horses and she’d let me ride on the back of her horse with her sometimes. Sherry was an accomplished young rider and I felt safe with her...as safe as one can feel on a giant animal, that is. The last time I ever rode with Sherry was on her pony and it got stung by a bee and took off running in a full gallop like it was shot out of a cannon! She remained calm and got control again and then dropped me off the pony at the end of my gravel driveway so she could get it home and give it first aid. I was just glad I hadn't gone flying off the back!

When I finished high school and left my parent’s home, horses and farms were suddenly no longer a part of my life.  I never went back to the rural life but  when I visit my dad at that same house I always look out the car window for the neighbors horses behind those fences.

Recently I went hiking with my husband at Red Springs which is near our house in Las Vegas. We drove by a horse stable and when that familiar smell of leather and hay hit me I said “I’m going to ride a horse again. It’s time.”  Horses are one of the happier memories of my childhood, and riding one again is a gift I’m going to give myself.

1 comment:

  1. This brings back many memories, including of our mother feeding the horses carrots over the backyard fence as she used to talk to them too.

    ReplyDelete